Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hemingway to Fitzgerald: Writing in Role

May 8, 1925

Paris

Dear Scott,

I am writing to express my gratitude for the great time we had on the trip to Lyon. I accept your apology for missing the train. I must pass by Shakespeare and Co. later this afternoon to borrow some of the Michael Arlen books you were describing on the way back to Paris. He sounds like an amazing author.

Gertrude is having one of her little parties on Friday evening, and it should be grand. I hope to see you there.

I would like to tell you how impressed I am with The Great Gatsby. Your novel is one of the most amazing and mature novels that I have ever read. I am not just flattering you Scott. I truly mean it, and good job! It is a first rate novel.

However, as your friend I feel that I should speak frankly to you about your marriage to Zelda. I know that you claim to be happy with her, but I feel that she is getting in the way of your writing too often, and influencing your ideas too strongly. I understand that this may be hard for you to hear from me, but it’s my opinion that Zelda is quite insane.

I understand how much you love her, and I believe that you, being the great man and writer that you are, will stand by your wife and give her guidance. But I feel that it is important that I notify you of this, if you haven’t figured her illness out yet. Please forgive my frankness and I hope to see you at Gertrude’s. Would you like to meet at the Closerie des Lilas on Tuesday? If you are not busy, please notify me and we will sort out a time.

Best of luck, Scott,

Sincerely,

Ernest

Note: This letter was actually written by Tom MacCammon

No comments:

Post a Comment